Nov.

Cran-Apple Crisps

This week was my turn to host Tuesdays with Dorie!  While I haven’t been baking a lot lately, I surely was not going to miss my turn in the rotation :)  When I initially joined TwD it seemed like my turn was so far far faaaaaar away but now it’s here and I chose Dorie’s recipe for Cran-Apple Crisps. It seemed like a no-brainer to me as I love both of these fruits and using cranberries and apples seemed so perfect for the autumn weather most of the United States is experiencing :)

This recipe is faaaaaaaaaaaabulous!  I love how it’s just a handful of ingredients which come together quickly, easily and bake up beautifully.  When all was said and done, I took one bite and thought it was faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabulous!  The only thing that could’ve made it better would’ve been a nice melting scoop of vanilla bean ice cream :)

Cran-Apple Crisps

Baking From My Home To Yours – Dorie Greenspan

For the topping
¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup (packed) light brown sugar
½ cup old-fashioned oats
½ cup shredded sweetened coconut
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1 stick (8 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter cut into 4 pieces

For the filling
4 medium apples, peeled, cored and cut into ¼ inch chunks
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries (if frozen, don’t thaw)
½ cup moist, plump dried cranberries or raisins (dark or golden)
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

Getting Ready:
Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly butter eight ovenproof cups or bowls, each with a capacity of about one cup. Pu the cups on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicone mat.

To make the topping:
Put all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse just until the mixture forms big curds, about 1 minute. (You can make the topping up to 3 days ahead and refrigerate it in an airtight bag.)

To make the filling:
Toss all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Divide the fruit evenly among the cups then spoon an equal amount of topping over each portion of fruit. Bake the crisps for 40-45 minutes or until the topping is golden and the fruit juices are bubbling up around it. Transfer the cups to a rack and let them rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.

If you like what you’ve read, please

Don’t miss a single update!
subscribe to The Repressed Pastry Chef RSS feed or
subscribe to The Repressed Pastry Chef by email

Have a delicious day!

48 Responses to "Cran-Apple Crisps"

1. Vivian says:

Great choice! Love the balance between sweet and tart in this recipe. Thanks!

2. ldh says:

Good Morning, Em,

I am new to Tuesdays with Dorie and wanted to stop by and tell you how much fun I am having and how much I enjoyed this recipe. I have perused your place here ~ Sweet :) Will visit again!
    Kindly, ldh

3. Romaine says:

I agree with you. Fabulous and easy. Thanks for choosing an easy one. Like the way yours turned out.

4. Amanda says:

BEAUTIFUL! I am making this next week and can’t wait!

5. Wonderful pick.

Thanks so much, it is delicious.

6. Kayte says:

Loved, loved, loved your choice…thanks for picking it so close to Thanksgiving so now I will definitely have something new to take for the family dinner. Yours looks wonderful…I like it in the clear dish where you can see all the layers, etc.

7. pamela says:

You’re right…it was FAAAABULOUS!! We loved it. And the ice cream made it even better. Thanks for helping me to start really enjoying apple crisps. Yummy!

8. Susan says:

Your crisp looks wonderful…great photography! I am making this one next week for Thanksgiving dessert and can’t wait! Thanks for such a great choice!

9. Tracey says:

Thanks for hosting this week Em! Your crisps look wonderful and I’m glad you enjoyed them :) I’m going to add a big scoop of vanilla ice cream to mine the next time I pull one from the freezer!

10. Valerine says:

Thank you for hosting this week and for picking a wonderful (and simple) recipe! I loved these crisps. :)

11. natalia says:

Ciao ! Thank you very much for your choice it’s perfect even for Rome’s climate !!

12. rachel says:

looks faaaaabulous!!!

13. Dolce says:

Don’t you just love when you can pull a dessert in no time for unexpected guests or just a personal craving ? This is fabulous indeed !

14. Vivian says:

Great pick! Your dish looks awesome!This was a great dish to make. Thanks for picking it.

15. Amy says:

Your crisp looks perfect. And you’re so right about the way ice cream takes this to the next level. I added a scoop of toasted coconut ice cream, and it was divine. Thanks for choosing this one!

16. Sue says:

Cranberry Apple Crisp sounds so yummy! I’m so glad I clicked over here!

17. you picked a good one– so nice, i made it twice! your photos are making me want a third round!

18. dorie says:

Em, this was a great choice for the season and I’m delighted that you liked it. It’s so nice that so many TWDers seem to like it as well. It makes me so happy and I bet it tickles you, too.

Hi, Miss Em! Your crisp photos are lovely (as usual)!

How are you? Hope all is well!

20. mike says:

Thanks so much for choosing this! I LOVED making it – it was so easy and so “comfort” food-ish! Yours looks especially delicious – I’m glad it was a favorite of yours as well!

21. Natalie says:

This was a fantastic pick. Great choice for this time of year!

22. Maybe says:

That’s exactly the way I want to bake the apples I have in my kitchen !

23. Katrina says:

I can’t wait to make this crisp. So much so that I might just make it tonight! It looks great and I’ve only heard rave reviews about it. Great pick, Em.

24. Mimi says:

Thanks for such a great recipe choice. Easy to make and the house smelled fantastic. It seemed so healthy after all of the Halloween candy we have been eating.
    Mimi

25. britin says:

loved it…great choice:) love your site by the way..

26. Sharon says:

This is a nice recipe for fall. I love the topping.

27. Margot says:

Great choice and yours looks yummy! I love apples and cranberries together, and I also loved how easy this one was.

28. Courtney says:

Thank you SO much for hosting. You picked a fabulous recipe. It was easy but SO SO good!

29. Steph says:

thanks for choosing such a fun, easy and delicious recipe. I really enjoyed it. I love your pictures!

30. Di says:

Thanks for a great pick, Em! I really enjoyed this one. Funny that you should mention the vanilla bean ice cream. I actually made some last week, in anticipation of this recipe. The combo is quite delicious. =)

31. Annette says:

Great pick! I really loved it. So easy and comforting! :)

32. Heather B says:

Great pick! It was delicious and so quick to make!

33. Thanks for a great pick! So easy, so versatile, so tasty…Yum!

34. Jodie says:

Thanks for the great pick. So easy and rewarding!

35. Jennifer says:

What an excellent choice!!!!!!! Your crisp is beautiful!

36. Karen says:

Yes, this was quick and easy and delicious. AND vanilla ice cream definitely took it over the top!

37. Joy says:

I love the pics in the bowl! Mine wasn’t quite so photogenic (ha!). Thanks for the great pick!

38. Susan @ SGCC says:

Loved this recipe! Thanks for choosing it.

39. isa says:

Thanks for choosing this recipe, it was easy and so delicious! Your crisp looks wonderdul!

40. peggy says:

Em this was a great choice. My house smelled so delicious while it was baking. I’m taking it tomorrow night to a supper club party. Thanks for a great pick and yours look delicious!

41. Hey Em, I love your selection for TWD! I’m tempted to make it as a Thanksgiving dessert this year.

Hope you have a really good weekend. xo

42. Margaret says:

This was a great selection. Simply Faaaaaaaaaaaabulous. Fun to make and fun to play with (as in add/subtract ingredients) Added walnuts to some, white chocolate to others. And they were perfect with ice cream

Thanks for this pick.

43. Anne says:

I loved this choice and your version looks delicious. Thanks for a great recipe!

44. Jill says:

Thank you for the great pick! It is perfect for the season and I’ll definitely be making it again!

45. Rhiani says:

Thanks for choosing this recipe – we loved it at my house!

46. These were perfect! I finally got around to making them tonight, and they were a delicious dessert for my husband and I. By the way, you’re right above my blog in the TWD blogroll, so we’re neighbors! Love your site…your photos are beautiful!

47. Jill Buker says:

Finally got around to making these and they were delicious! Great pick.

48. [...] KNOW you want the recipe, so head on over to Em at The Repressed Pastry Chef and take a gander at her delish [...]