Oct.

Cinnamon Roll Cake

Quite a few months back I started seeing this cake pop up all over the various blogs I frequent. It looked so absolutely appealing that I found it completely irresistible. After all, it’s cake, cinnamon and drizzly-glazy-icing… a winning combination in my book! If you’re one of the few people left who hasn’t made this cake, you really should. It’s about as easy as can be… and it spends far more time in the oven that you’ll spend getting it there or to the plate!

I’m sure you’ve noticed that I have not been blogging very much lately. Things have been very busy since the end of summer and I have not baked more than a handful of times. I do a lot of cooking… but not much baking. And I miss it. A lot. Only a sister/fellow baking blogger would understand how much. The middle of August was somewhat of a reality check. I knew I’d put on a few pounds but I’d been avoiding the scale for quite a while so it was easy to not realize just how much weight I’d gained. After lunch out with my co-workers one Friday I was not just full but I was uncomfort-ful… Thanksgiving-Dinner-Full. It was a sobering moment. My eating had been out of control and it was pretty easy to recognize it was due in large part to the amount of baked goods that were constantly around me. I love baking – it’s been a wonderful learning experience and being in the kitchen feels about as natural as can be. But the morning after that lunch I got on the scale and saw just how out of control things were… I’d gained 12 pounds in 4 months! At that point not only was I heavier than I’d ever been by about 10 pounds… I was heavier than I had ever imagined I would be. While I’ve never been a “skinny” girl, I typically keep my weight in check but the scale all-too-honestly told the truth about just how out of check my weight was :(

Inspiration comes in many forms. People can inspire you without even knowing it. Jamie over at My Baking Addiction inspired me to get my act together and she probably doesn’t even know it! LOL! At the end of August I hired a personal trainer and have been working out with him for 2 months now. Three times a week, for 60-75 minutes, he pushes me to achieve what I never in my wildest imagination dreamed I could achieve… especially since I truly dislike to exercise and am just about the laziest person on the planet! I kid you not! But since that disastrous-feeling lunch back in mid August I have lost over 20 pounds, gained quite a bit of strength and am in better condition that I ever expected to be. As much as I dislike exercise, I have tremendous respect for my trainer and love the feeling of accomplishment after our workouts. I’ve dramatically changed my way of eating and know there’s no “secret” to weight loss… it’s all about calories consumed vs. calories burned. I wish there was a magic wand but there isn’t.

So that’s why I haven’t been baking very much… and since this is a baking blog when I’m not baking there’s not much for me to write about here :) I’ve been careful to remove the temptations around me… and since I was doing all the baking I pretty much had to go cold-turkey. I’ll continue to bake only not as frequently as I used to :) But not everyone has a weight problem and some people are much better than I am at moderation… cuz trust me, I absatively suck at it! LOL! If you need a cake in jiffy this is a good one to make. It’s super easy and the combination of cinnamon and drizzly-glazy icing transforms it into something yummmmmmy!

Cinnamon Roll Cake

From Ingrid over at Baseball, baking and books

Ingredients and Method

Preheat oven to 325°F

Mix together 1 box of Yellow Cake Mix, 4 eggs, 3/4 cup oil and 1 cup sour cream.
Pour in 13 x 9 greased baking pan.

Combine 1 cup brown sugar and 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon… pour over cake batter and swirl in using a knife
Bake for 30-40 minutes until done. Allow cake to cool for about 10 – 15 minutes before icing.

For the icing combine 2 cups powdered sugar and about 4 tbsp milk (more or less depending on the consistency you like) and pour over warm cake.

If you like what you’ve read, please

Don’t miss a single update!
subscribe to The Repressed Pastry Chef RSS feed or
subscribe to The Repressed Pastry Chef by email

Have a delicious day!

22 Responses to "Cinnamon Roll Cake"

1. This looks delicious! Congratulations on your fantastic weight loss!

2. Soumya says:

very nice…love the click.

3. Monica H says:

well good for you for losing all that weight. That is tremendous.

Cake looks delicious too!

4. Jennifer says:

20 lbs since August? That’s like 2 lbs a week!! You GO girl! I have the same problem as you… I totally understand. Unfortunately, I can’t afford a personal trainer so I’m left to forcing myself to exercise… not an easy task since I also hate to exercise and I have two small children. My results since August… nada, zip, zilch. But you’ve inspired me to try harder. Thanks! And congrats again on the weight loss!

5. CJ says:

I have made this cake, more than a few times. Might be the reason I have not lost an ounce since August. :( I try, I fail, I bake this cake again. I would rather lose 20 pounds in a couple months than ever eat this cake again. Congratulations on your hard work.

6. TB says:

Congrats on the wait loss. Since you are doing more cooking than baking we would still love to hear from you! Tell us what you’re cooking and what type of exercising you are doing. I think all of us baking lovers would do well to do a few extra crunches every now and then :)…I guess now you really are repressing being a pastry chef ;-)!

7. BethieofVA says:

You go girl! I need to loose 40lbs myself, but baking and cooking it what I love. It is soooo hard.

Em! Hi! Glad to hear that it hasn’t been anything too serious keeping you from blogging!

Good for you! That’s awesome that yo’ve taken control of the siutation and recognize your weakness. I wish I had better self control. Okay, I wish I had some self control. In the year plus time I’ve been blogging I’ve gained 20 lbs. The first 10/12 were actually a good thing as I’ve always been under weight but the those last 8 have made me uncomfortable. My problem stems from the time I’m doing the majority of my eating which is at night after we come home from practices and games. :(
    Anyway keep up your good work and let us know how it goes! It helps motivate the rest of us.

9. Linda says:

Seriously could not get any easier. But those are often the best recipes!!

Thanks for this…it will be on my Sunday morning table soon!

10. Jamie says:

Em-

Glad to hear the trainer is working well for you and thanks for the shout out! Congratulations on your 20 pound loss…that is fantastic, keep it up, girl!

-Jamie

11. Ashlie says:

Congrats on the weight loss – but no need to totally deprive yourself. Try using less oil, use applesauce in it’s place or other fruit purees (I’ve used mango, pumpkin, and banana) and use whole grains in your baking (e.g. whole wheat flour, oats, bran, etc. you’ll fill up faster and amp up the nutritional value). Good luck and great baking :).

12. sarah says:

what a timely post for me to read…i just recently “weighed in” and found that i had re-gained the 10 pounds I lost last year, plus one! and the baking blogs are definitely to blame. I have yet to go cold turkey, but actually just finished working out, so hopefully I can stick with it this time!

Congrats on your loss, and the cake looks great!

13. Yael says:

Congrats on the fantastic weight loss! I totally understand where you are coming from. Baking is a passion for me- one of the things that make me feel best. I have struggled with weight all my life and continue to do so. I am always looking for occasions and people I can bake for so I get the baking part in, and the baked goods out of the house!

14. amalia alexander says:

I just saw the basic same recipe with the cake doctor she has a book out. I agree on trying to lose weight and baking it is hard. I love to bake also and keep my weight down. Keep exercising it works plus you feel so much better.

15. grace says:

this is one cake that it would be hard for me to consume in moderation, but i’d gladly put in some extra time on the elliptical for a megaslab. it looks perfect to me!

16. Andy says:

That cake looks really nice! I love cinnamon but only tend to eat it around Xmas for some reason!

Slightly off topic – great fork in the photo’s! Where did you buy that from?

Cheers
    Andy – http://onceuponathyme.wordpress.com/

17. Eva says:

The cake looks great and so easy! I am one of those few out there who has not made it yet but now maybe I will.

Congrats on the weight loss. My solution to not eating the entire cake is to bring it to work. Of course I could lose 20 lbs without missing it so maybe my solution isn’t actually working that well. Good luck keeping it up.

18. Jess says:

Hey! Congrats on the weight loss. I am trying to come up with some cool recipes to substitute for ‘full fat baking’, its been trial and error (sometimes you just HAVE to use white flour) its been fun! give it a try!

p.s the current cake looks AWESOME i love cinnamon, and I love your blog! Keep up the posts about your progression!

19. Its true that you don’t have to eat tasteless and horrible things when dieting. Simply do what you have done and make the things you love most healthier!

20. Amanda says:

Oh that sounds so amazing!

21. Tracey says:

Congrats on the weightloss! This cake is going to get made this weekend!

22. KeishaShippy says:

I’ve made this cake several times, and it always gets wonderful reviews from friends and family. But I was wondering if you thought it would translate well into cupcakes? I’ve got a huge group of people (14) coming over and was requested to make this cake. But all those plates and forks on top of dinner dishes is overwhelming!