Jun.

Perfect Party Cake – TwD

This week’s Tuesdays with Dorie hostess was Carol of the blog Mix, Mix, Stir, Stir and she chose Dorie’s recipe for the Perfect Party Cake.  Having made this cake at least ten times since first being introduced to it in the Daring Bakers challenge back in February of 2008, I do agree this is the perfect party cake.  Dress it up… Dress it down… even plain-ol nekkid… this cake is my hands-down favorite!  Having made it so many times as a full-sized cake… and not wanting all that leftover cake in my house… for this week’s TwD I chose to go the mini-sized route and do cupcakes:)

But just to show that yes… I have made it as written… I’ll include a couple of pictures :P

Last year for my birthday I knew exactly what I wanted… Dorie’s Perfect Party Cake (pictured above and below).   There’s just something so special about that white cake with lemon filling and raspberry filling that just 100% does it for me!!!

This cake has the perfect crumb and is an excellent balance between light-n-airy and dense.  It takes icing beautifully… but tastes incredible nekkid too.  In fact, speaking of icing… I must admit that I do not at all care for Dorie’s icing recipe with this cake.  With only a couple of exceptions I’m not a fan of cooked buttercream so when I make this cake I use a recipe for what I consider to be the world’s best buttercream… Buttercream Dream.

If you’d like the recipe it can be found on pages 250-252 of Dorie’s book Baking From My Home To Yours (see blog sidebar)… or on hostess Carol’s blog.

Have a delicious day!

18 Responses to "Perfect Party Cake – TwD"

1. Maybe says:

I love the cupcake version but I have to admit that the full cake is gorgeous ! I love the pink and yellow shredded coconut !!! I plan to try this cake (because I love lemon and strawberry) with your perfect buttercream which is delicious of course !

2. mary says:

very very nice!

3. Steph says:

Those cupcakes look so cute!

4. dorie says:

It looks so beautiful in every picture! Love the colorful coconut — it’s such a nice addition to the cake.

5. Jamie says:

Love the cupcakes, Em! So pretty!!!!

6. Jennie says:

I made the PPC for my birthday and loved what you did with it so much that I tried to recreate it myself :) I loved the pretty coconut! It came out beautifully (well, except the piping. I’m not so good at piping.) That picture of your cupcakes made me want to lick my screen, those are just mouth watering!

Em, both the cake and cupcakes look wonderful but I have to admit to preferring the cake with its yummy fillings! :)

8. looks like a party to me! both versions are beautiful!

9. The picts are beautiful. I am also not a big fan of the boiled buttercream.

10. Amanda says:

OMG those photos are perfection! I LOVE the tined coconut, so beautiful! I love buttercream, but agree that the frosting in the book was TOO buttery, even slippery LOL I’ll try yours!

11. Jules says:

Seriously, this all looks amazing. I am not a fan of buttercream, but even I’d eat these. Gorgeous!

12. Tracey says:

Your photos and your cupcakes are gorgeous! I made cupcakes too and also skipped Dorie’s buttercream – I did whipped cream instead. I really like this recipe too.

13. AmyRuthBakes says:

Oh so fun to see your variety of photos showing the variety of ways your have made the PPC. Perfecto! Also, I shared this with friends too.
    AmyRuth

14. Elissa says:

That buttercream swirled on top looks amazing… I just want to drag a finger through it and get some sprinkles too! I looked at your recipe for the frosting and bookmarked it. It looks great!

15. Natty says:

These are too pretty to be eaten! I hate that silver/metallic dragees are still illegal in California.

16. Michelle says:

Love it in cupcake form. So pretty!

17. Holly says:

Your cupcakes and cake do look like perfect party fare!

18. Theresa says:

I’ve been wanting to try this cake FOREVER. I tried convincing my mom that she wanted one for her birthday, but it didn’t work. And my dad always wants chocolate. So it looks like I’ll be making one for my birthday in the Fall! I love the idea of turning it into cupcakes too. Did you fill the cupcake with anything?