Jun.

Honey Peach Ice Cream – TwD

If it’s Tuesday, we’re usually baking with Dorie, but this week instead of bakin’ we’re ice cream makin’ ;)  Now if you’ve followed my blog for more than a week you’ll know that I really enjoy making ice cream.  Check the archives and you’ll find a few recipes I’ve shared.  I can’t say that I’m a fan of honey but I do like peaches so I figured I’d give this one a whirl… plus… I’m always looking for a good excuse to pull out my KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker attachment!

This week’s hostess of TwD was Tommi of the blog Brown Interior and how nice was it to make a light and refreshing summer dessert like fruit ice cream.  The recipe was rather straightforward… peaches and honey pureéd and added to a typical custard ice cream base.  As written Dorie instructs us to add 2 diced peaches pretty much at the end of the churning time however I did not want frozen fruit chunks in my ice cream so I pureéd the remaining peaches instead.   Good move if you ask me :)

If I’m being honest I’ll tell you this was not one of my favorite recipes in Dorie’s book.  I found the cream flavor of the custard to overpower both the peach and the honey flavors.  This disappointed me because I expected a really powerful peach taste and it just fell short of the mark. Many other TwD members mentioned the honey flavor was very strong… I found that not to be the case as well.   While the ice cream was good it wasn’t stellar.  The flavor did intensify the next day and DH reports it tasted really good over a slice of pound cake and drizzled with more honey.

If you’d like the recipe, check out Tommi’s blog or page 437 of Dorie’s book Baking From My Home To Yours which can be found on my side bar.

Have a delicious day!

23 Responses to "Honey Peach Ice Cream – TwD"

1. Jamie says:

Looks divine…love the first photo!!!!

2. Parita says:

Ice cream looks divine!! love the honey drizzling through the ice cream!!

3. Amanda says:

That looks fabulous on that poundcake! Mine was a flop, but I blogged about it anyway LOL

4. The honey drizzle there is KEY. :)

5. This looks great – too bad the peach and honey flavors didn’t come through as well as you would have liked.

6. Such beautiful pictures – great job!! :)

7. Tracey says:

Love your photos! The drizzle of honey looks wonderful on top of the pound cake and ice cream! I’m with you though – this wasn’t my favorite Dorie recipe.

8. Em…I LOVE the combo of peaches and honey, and drizzle it on peaches all the time during the summer, especially doughnut peaches! I NEVER thought of putting the combo together in ice cream! Why didn’t I think of that? Well, you did, and it looks delicious and gorgeous!! Bookmarked!

• Em says:

Oh if you love peaches and honey… yeah definitely make this one!!! Maybe double the amt of honey so you get a fuller flavor? I know you’ll appreciate this recipe a heckuva lot more than I can :)

9. I wanted to make a pound cake for this, but just didn’t have the time.

10. Amy says:

Oh, gosh, your photos are so lovely. That drizzled honey looks so good.

11. Lori Ann says:

Holy Cow! I’m sorry the flavor of the ice cream didn’t agree with you but that first picture of your ice cream!! My ice cream looks so lonely now…

12. Your ice cream looks so luscious! Serving it over pound cake was a great idea. Well done!

13. Janice says:

Em,
    You might not love it, but you certainly made A++ pics;-)
    Gorgeous!

14. Jules says:

Holy smokes that looks fabulous! I pureed all of my peaches as well. Good move.

15. Tammy says:

Awesome pictures! That dripping honey got my attention. I loved the ice cream, although I, too, would have enjoyed more peaches. I think it would have been even better if I could have used artisan honey instead of regular store-bought honey.
    You have some great ice cream recipes. I’ll be back to visit again!

16. Elissa says:

Peach ice cream is my grandma’s favorite. She’s been asking me to make it ever since the weather began to brighten. Yours looks fantastic! I love the shot of the dripping honey.

17. isa says:

Your pictures are fantastic! I agree with you, it did’nt taste honey at all.

Em, your photos are fantastic! Especially that first one!

19. AmyRuthBakes says:

Beautiful! Great honey drip photo!!! Score. I love the pairing with the cake. Can’t get any better than that!
    AmyRuth

20. Just looking at the pictures made my mouth water! Looks absolutely devine and naughty too!

21. Maybe says:

Tommy’s blog is not available anymore… Too bad because now I can’t try the recipe…

22. [...] After having heard about Dorie Greenspan’s Honey Peach Ice Cream all over the foodblogosphere, I decided to make my own version. Dorie’s [...]