May.

Outrageous Brownies

This week’s host of Barefoot Bloggers was Eva of the blog I’m Boring and she chose Ina’s recipe for Outrageous Brownies. If I’ve been blessed to have you as a reader of my blog for more than oh, uhm, five minutes, you will know that I’m not a big fan of chocolate.  As I’ve said, I don’t dislike it, it just doesn’t float my boat the way, say, lemon does.  Only on rare occasions does a chocolate dessert really do it for me.  One example is the Black Magic Cake that, in a single bite, changed my mind about chocolate cake.  But scoot over Black Magic Cake because Ina’s Outrageous Brownies are deservedly taking a seat next to you on that vaunted pedestal because they are JUST. THAT. GOOD!!!

These brownies are the real deal… moist… dense… and fudgy.  Surprisingly they are not overly sweet but you’ll definitely want a tall glass of cold milk with these!  At least I sure did :)  Yanno, that’s one way to get my daily requirement of calcium! LOL!  The ingredient list is not for the faint of heart… butter… semi-sweet chocolate… unsweetened chocolate… eggs… instant coffee… vanilla… sugar… flour… baking powder… salt… and walnuts (which I chose to omit).  To me, the best part is the chocolate chips added to the batter just before pouring into the pan.  Yuuuu-uuum!  Seriously it’s a whole lotta buttah and a whole lotta chocolate and a whole lotta eggs so these are by no means low-calorie.   But when you’re in the mood for a good brownie… I mean a really really good brownie… calories are the last thing on your mind.  You won’t splurge on these every day (though ya may wanna!) so just let go… ignore the calorie count… and enjoy!  It’s worth it!

I’ve seen many people review this recipe say they’ll never make any other brownie recipe again.  I was skeptical of such claims but having now made them, I totally get where they’re coming from.  I will make these again and again and again!  I can see adding peanut butter chips or cappuccino chips or mint extract or a cheesecake topping or whatever else your creativity can dream up. I halved the recipe and baked it in a 13×9 pyrex pan lined with parchment.  All in all, these are FABULOUS brownies absolutely worth making.

If you’d like the recipe it can be found here on the FoodNetwork site.

Have a delicious day!

17 Responses to "Outrageous Brownies"

Okay, I’m going to HAVE to give these a try as like yourself, the kids and I are not fans of chocolate and for you to make claims like that….well, I’d be pretty stupid not to make these. Good call on no walnuts. I like my nuts on top not in.

2. I won’t make any other brownies but these any more.

Nope…ya can’t make me.

Just brilliant.

3. Suzie says:

I thought these were sublime too, although, stupid me, I made the whole recipe before I realised how enormous a batch that would create. I’m sure there are people who would kill for such a problem!

4. Krissy says:

These look so good! I made brownies earlier this week, but they just didn’t cut it for me. They weren’t “chocolatey” enough. I’ll have to try this recipe out and see how they are.

I’m sure they’re amazing, as they come with such a high recommendation. Cheers!

5. Gary says:

So it begins. It started with Black Magic cake. Now it is Outrageous Brownies. Welcome to the dark (chocolate) side.

BTW, I really like the font you used in your signature. What is it called? Thanks.

• Em says:

Hi Gary,
      I don’t recall the name of the font but check out livesignature.com

Thanks for stopping by!

6. Yum.
    I am currently infatuated with this recipe for Katharine Hepburn Brownies, but I will definitely have to make these and do a taste test. What a shame.

7. i can’t remember the last time i had a REALLY good brownie. these look amazing! thanks for sharing!

8. Marta says:

Ina’s brownies are my go-to recipe for no-fail, crowd-pleasing brownies! They are elegant and well balanced, while delivering the perfect, fudgy bite! Great rendition :)

9. Desmone007 says:

These brownies look amazing! Thanks for sharing.

10. Angela says:

Seriously, those pictures are making me drool. Now I just HAVE to make them. ;)

11. Julie says:

I already love chocolate. I think these would cause me to publicly confess my undying devotion to chocolate. *sigh*

12. For years I’ve been on a quest for the perfect brownie recipe (rough work, I know), but I haven’t tried these yet. I definitely need to – they look fantastic! :)

13. I’m glad these brownies were able to outweigh your dissatisfaction with chocolate :) dangerous.

14. Eva says:

your picture is gorgeous. i wish mine looked that good!

15. Maybe says:

My boyfriend is litterally licking at the screen… You convinced him… and me of course !

16. jordan says:

I made these brownies from Ina’s cookbook and took them to a the concert on the beach picnic with friends…EVERYONE was going crazy how delicious these brownies were! Several friends said they were the best brownies they’d ever had! I couldn’t get over the reaction these brownies caused, it was hilarious!