May.

The end of yet another month is upon us and that means it’s time for yet another Daring Bakers reveal :) The May Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Linda of make life sweeter! and Courtney of Coco Cooks. They chose Apple Strudel from the recipe book Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Cafés of Vienna, Budapest and Prague by Rick Rodgers.

Making apple strudel is, more than anything, all about technique. The dough ingredients are straightforward… flour, salt, water, oil and cider vinegar. They come together easily and quickly but… and yanno there has to be a “but” in this… properly stretching the dough is rather crucial to success.  The recipe calls for the dough to be stretched so thin that you can read a letter through it. I’m not going to kid you… I used a rolling pin and quite honestly I didn’t get the dough as thin as the recipe called for.  Was it opaque?  Sure thing!  Could you read the newspaper through?  I didn’t try it but can confidently say not really.

The filling provided for in the recipe is basically one of apples and raisins… with a few other things added in ;)   I used brown sugar instead of white and I used a lot more cinnamon than the recipe calls for.  Hey, what can I say… I like brown sugar and cinnamon with my baked apples!  I also chose to add a bit of freshly grated nutmeg just because I like it.  Instead of stretching the dough on a tablecloth, I just gave my granite counter a tremendous dousing of all purpose flour and used a rolling pin.  Worked out just fine for me and that could be because I didn’t make the full recipe.

I can’t deny it looks pretty darn horrible in this state.  Pretty. Darn. Horrible.  And absolutely not asthetically pleasing let along hunger inducing.  Thank goodness this ugly thing gets baked because in the naked state who’d go near it?  Blech!

But after it’s baked, and dusted with some powdered sugar, it tastes pretty good.  Nothing to write home about but certainly nothing to bin, either.  Even though I didn’t stretch the dough anywhere near as thin as the recipe instructed, I still got a lot of breaks and tears in the dough when it was all baked up and done.

In the final analysis, would I make this again?  No, I don’t think I would.  But in the spirit of the Daring Bakers I did give it The Ol College Try.  I think it would’ve been much better if the dough didn’t have to be so thin.  My ends that I tucked all under… that was the best part to me so yeah I think the dough being thicker would’ve enhanced this for me.

If you’d like the recipe, please check out the blog of either Linda or Courtney.

Have a delicious day!

16 Responses to "Apple Strudel – Daring Bakers May Challenge"

1. LegalAlien says:

I don’t think it’s so bad as you picture it, in fact it looks pretty good. At least, it looks how it’s supposed to look, even “naked”. ;-)

2. gourmet says:

Woow, this Recipe looks so great and the pictures too! Thanks, nice. :)

3. Aparna says:

Hey, it does look pretty good though. But I have to agree that the strudel is not the most attractive thing before it is baked! :D

4. Tonic says:

I don’t think your strudel looked horrible at any point during its creation! It looks wonderful, and your photos are fantastic!!

5. jill says:

Wow, it looks delicious! I love the naked wrinkled dough picture.

6. I think you did a really great job, I can’t imagine making it and rolling it without a table cloth, great job!

7. Karen Fender says:

When I was in Vienna, I went to a apple strudel cooking class. It was such fun and this so reminds me of it.

Thanks for posting and allowing me to remember.

Kaffeehaus is one of my favorite books!

8. Jamie says:

Em, your studel looks great…you got the dough so nice and thin! Well done!

Kudos to you Em for giving it the Ol’ College Try! LOL!

10. Claire says:

Well, it looks great! I can see some translucent places in the dough.

11. All about technique you are so right! Great that you gained a new skill from the DBers. Wonderful colour you got in the filling – love the mint(?). Cheers from Audax in Australia.

12. Elizabeth says:

That strudel looks wonderful! Very good job!!

13. I’m really going to have to try this now. Thanks!

14. Lauren says:

Yum! Your strudel looks amazing =D. Awesome job on this challenge!

15. Margaret says:

Brown sugar. THAT’s what it needed. It was easy and soooo tasty. Let’s do it again!!!

BTW That looks just fine to me.

16. Mona says:

I love strudel, but every time I make it it breaks when I’m transferring it from the counter to the baking pan. I stopped attempting to form a horseshoe. It’s SO HARD!! Any suggestions, PLEASE????