Mar.

Sugar Cookie Bars

There are times when I can be incredibly lazy. I admit it. I’m not proud of it, mind you, but I’m aware of it and working to change it. But there are also times when my being lazy works out quite well :) Case in point, I love sugar cookies but would rather not spend the time and energy rolling out the dough, cutting out the shapes, waiting for them to cool, making the icing and then decorating them. That takes waaaaaaay too long and it’s waaaaaaay to easy for me to give up and eat them long before the decorating even starts! LOL. So when I came across the recipe for sugar cookie bars, well, it was like a timely solution to my old nemesis… laziness :)

These are so easy it’s a shame I didn’t know about them sooner. Or wait… maybe that’s a good thing ;-) I don’t know who “invented” this but I’d like to say a hearty THANK YOU!! All you have to do is make the sugar cookie dough (recipe coming up), pat it into a baking pan, bake, cool and frost. The only thing simpler is eating them after someone else has made them!

Click for printable recipe

Sugar Cookie Bars

from Anissa’s Kitchen

1 cup butter; room temp.
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
5 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each egg. Add vanilla & mix well. In a separate bowl combine flour, salt & soda & stir with a whisk to combine. Add to wet mixture and mix just until combined. Spread on a greased baking sheet (use a 13 x 18 pan). Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 min, until light golden brown or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely and frost.

Frosting
1/2 cup butter; room temp
1/2 cup shortening
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
4 cups powdered sugar
5 Tbsp milk
food coloring (if desired)

For frosting combine butter and shortening until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla and salt. Add powdered sugar in 1-2 cup increments until combined, then add milk & mix until smooth and spreading consistency. Spread over cooled cookie, then cut into bars.

Next time you have a hankerin for homemade cookies, but would rather not do lots of work, then definitely, definitely make these.  I love them!  My husband loves them!  The kids love them!  My co-workers love them!  In fact, I don’t know of anyone who doesn’t love them – they are fabulous!!!

Have a delicious day!

src=”http://signatures.mylivesignature.com/54486/313/2F9B6626815A7DEDA50FC96
E870F3868.png” style=”border: none; background: transparent;”/>

37 Responses to "Sugar Cookie Bars"

1. Coleen says:

What an excellent idea! I’ve turned all sorts of cookie recipes into cookie bars, but I NEVER thought of doing it with sugar cookies. How clever.

I’ve seen these making the rounds and have the recipe already printed out. Like you I think cookies are a lot work and prefer the bar form to the cookie. Yeah, I know lazy but unlike yourself I’m totally okay with it! With all that I have on my plate my family is luck to get homemade anything. :-)

I’ll be giving these a try and YOUR buttercream recipe which I’ve heard is awesome!

3. RecipeGirl says:

I am printing these out NOW. I’d love to make these this week for our teachers at school. Thanks for the lovely idea!

4. Emily Rose says:

whoa this could be dangerous for me! what a great idea! they look really pretty too!

5. Elyse says:

What a fabulous idea! Why shouldn’t sugar cookies be bars?! I’m so glad about the revamp of the sugar cookie. No more horrible rolling. These bars look totally delicious!

6. Maya says:

This would a cinch to make for a large crowd too.

7. Paige says:

I keep seeing this recipe pop up…it’s calling out to me "Bake me! Bake me!" Yours look great!

8. What a great recipe! I’m way too lazy to go through the whole sugar cookie process too. This looks like an awesome alternative! thanks for sharing!

9. Sophie says:

I am the same way when it comes to cookies :), which is why I’m a big fan of these bars! I also like that they’re as thick as biscotti–but still have the crumbly and crunchy cookie factor, they look incredible :)! I also like the way you frosted them :0).

10. Hillary says:

Pretty spring colors! I would love a sugar cookie bar. Great idea.

11. CakeSpy says:

Oh my god! A combination of some of my favorite things!! These look amazing.

12. Jaimie says:

These look absolutely amazing! I might just have to go get some food coloring, so that I can make these TODAY! : )

13. Michelle says:

I’ve made these a couple times since I found the recipe. Yesterday, in fact! I used a cream cheese icing this time and I loved the combination – not too sweet – just perfect.
    Yours are pretty and look very Easter-y.

14. Teanna says:

Those are amazingly gorgeous and beautiful and springtime-y! Gorgeous!

15. ghostfire says:

Do these turn out cakey or chewy? They look absolutely delicious.

16. Katie says:

Came over after seeing this link on thekitchn.com and have to say what a brilliant and cute idea! I am definitely putting this on my sweets list. Thanks!

17. SunnyBlue says:

Thank you, thank you. My heart is over-flowing with gratitude for this recipe. I adore sugar cookies but I never make them for all the same reasons cited above.

18. Erin says:

I like the way you think. Royal icing is for the birds. It doesn’t taste good anyway. Your cookies look divine.

19. Maria says:

I have got to try these!! YUM!

20. Mandy says:

I plan on trying these with some lemon curd and sliced fruit on top! I too am too lazy to roll and cut, so thanks for sharing!

21. Amy says:

These look amazing! Soft Iced Sugar Cookies are my FAVORITE. Thanks for sharing!

22. Jen says:

I made these last night. OMG SO GOOD! I am in charge of dessert for Easter and I’m considering just making these, but then using the cookie cutter after they’re baked to make really thick "cookies"

23. Jen says:

I made these last night too – my DH dived into them before I could put the cream cheese icing on. Great recipe – everyone at work loves them!

24. Memoria says:

These are pretty good! I didn’t cook them long enough or something because the insides weren’t totally done. I don’t know why, though. I cooked it for about 15 mins in 375 degree oven, and my oven has a tendency to overheat. Anyway, it was really good. I used your buttercream recipe as well. Perfect!

25. Jaimie says:

These were so amazing. Boyfriend even gave me a high five! : )

26. pearljamcrazy says:

That looks so good!!! Great idea; will have to try!

27. Emily says:

What a great idea!!! How do you get them cut so perfectly? A special knife or trick??

28. She-Fit says:

These look so good!

29. [...] Sugar Cookie BarsAdapted from The Repressed Pastry Chef [...]

30. Kayzilla says:

lol, I’m so late on this recipe.

I have a question on storage: how long do these bars last, and do they get hard after the next day?

31. [...] Click here for the original post containing the recipe [...]

32. [...] bars with lime buttercream and a strawberry swirl!  Basic sugar cookie bar recipe can be found here, and then I did the buttercream with the lime zest mixed in.  After the bars were cooled and [...]

33. [...] Adapted slightly from The Repressed Pastry Chef // Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. [...]

34. [...] has been making the rounds on the internet for quite some time. I discovered them last year on The Repressed Pastry Chef blog, tucked the recipe into my collection and finally made them a couple of weeks ago. Such a simple [...]

35. Holly says:

I am IN LOVE with your website- thank you! I just made these, and they’re delicious…but the dough didn’t bake through in the middle of the pan. I’m afraid to let them bake for another 5-8 minutes lest they dry out. Advice?